Article written by

I'm a 16 year-old blogger, high school student, and lifelong Mets fan. I've been blogging about the Mets in some form or another for about four years. I embrace the new age, sabermetric way of thinking, but also recognize the importance of scouting and player devlopment.

8 Responses

1. Robert Marcoux
    Robert Marcoux at | | Reply

“I don’t want to put him in a situation where he can fail.” I wonder what would’ve become of the Patriots if belicheck had this same philosophy

1. Connor O'Brien
      Connor O'Brien at | | Reply

Well this regime is definitely much more conservative than the Patriots.
      Sandy really seems like he has a stance of “If we’re not completely sure he’s ready, he’s not getting called up.”

1. Robert Marcoux
        Robert Marcoux at | | Reply

Indeed.

1. Connor O'Brien
          Connor O'Brien at | | Reply

Thank you for commenting Robert! Not too many people comment here, but when they do, it makes it all worthwhile. :)

2. 7train
        7train at | | Reply

Nice article Connor. Completely agree with your sentiment. Hated to see the Indians delude themselves into losing Pomeranz as well. Of course I loved the Giants “going all in” with Beltran.

Rarely does it pay off and even when it does it comes at an enormous cost.

I think there’s a great chance we don’t see Harvey this year. He doesn’t have to be put on the 40 man roster until November 2013 so putting him on before this November means we have one less roster spot for either a prospect or a veteran pickup/signing.

Next season he can be added when someone goes on the DL and brought up in mid season form. This year he’ll have about 160 IP by the end of August and that’s probably all they’ll want on him this year.

1. Connor O'Brien
          Connor O'Brien at | | Reply

I’d be fine with him being called up this year, but only if he’s ready to come up and stay up with the Mets. There are a few minor things he has to work on before the Mets will consider him ready. I’ve heard he has trouble with pitch count and control. Not necessarily problems with walking batters, but allowing them to work deep counts against him.

2. Connor O'Brien
          Connor O'Brien at | | Reply

Thank you for the comments over the past few days! :)

2. 7train
      7train at | | Reply

That’s comparing apples to sledgehammers. Football doesn’t have a prospect development program. They have a handful of depth stashed in the taxi squad but no farm system.

In football your expected to start or backup the day your drafted or you hope to catch on with another team.