We are just a little more than halfway through the year for the Mets’ full-season minor league affilliates, so now would be a good time to take a look at how the season has gone so far for each team. We reviewed the Sang Gnats, the St. Lucie Mets, and the Binghamton Mets. Now it’s time for the final mid-season review- the Buffalo Bisons.
The Buffalo Bisons are stacked with quite a few of the best pitching prospects in the Met organization. Led by manager Wally Backman, the Bisons have showcased some of their great pitching, despite what their record may tell you.
The offensive side for the Bisons is mostly filled with older semi-prospects, but they, too have impressed through the first half of the season.
It should be very exciting to watch some of the current Bisons compete in the big leagues later this year.
Top performers (Stats are as of 6/30):
- Josh Satin- .290/.380/.411, 6 HR, 25 RBI, 12 2B
- Valentino Pascucci- .242/.382/.443, 13 HR, 50 RBI
- Matt Harvey- 7-3, 3.41 ERA, 92.1 IP, 96 SO, 40 BB
- Justin Hampson- 4-2, 2.13 ERA, 28 relief appearances, 42.1 IP, 42 SO
- Matt Harvey has shown that he can pitch. Matt is currently leading the International League with 96 strikeouts and after his dominant performance last night, he seems closer to the big league club than ever. We will surely see him make his debut sometime this year. It should be fun.
- Pedro Beato has pitched well recently for the Bisons. He’s 3-2 in 15 games with them, and also has a 1.29 ERA.
- Valentino Pascucci isn’t a prospect, but he has hit really well this season. He is a legitimate power threat from the right side of the plate, and has hit 13 homers this season. It’s great to know that if Ike Davis were to go down, the Mets would have a solid power hitter to replace him with Pascucci.
- Jeurys Familia hasn’t lived up to expectations at all in 2012. The right-hander who has dominated the minors for most of his career, has a 4.77 ERA and a 1.74 WHIP through 16 starts. Familia was the number four prospect on my pre-season list, and was always regarded as a future reliever. He may move to the ‘pen very soon.