Article written by

I'm a 16 year-old blogger, high school student, and lifelong Mets fan. I've been blogging about the Mets in some form or another for about four years. I embrace the new age, sabermetric way of thinking, but also recognize the importance of scouting and player devlopment.

24 Responses

1. KennyandtheMets
    KennyandtheMets at | | Reply

I don’t see how you can call Murphy a second baseman yet. Just because the team plans to start him there doesn’t mean that he belongs there. I love his bat, but 2B is the 3rd or 4th most important defensive position on the field. After SS, C, and possibly CF. Even if Daniel can stay healthy (a big if) playing the pivot, he would have to hit about 350 to make up for his lack of range and defensive skill at that position.

1. Connor O'Brien
      Connor O'Brien at | | Reply

He doesn’t need the range or pure fielding talent that he would at say, third. I don’t want to say second is an easier position but it will be easier for him. He commits more errors at other positions than he does at second. This means that his d.W.A.R. isn’t as bad, so it won’t negatively affect his overall value (total W.A.R.). Get what I’m saying?

1. Sylow59
        Sylow59 at | | Reply

2B is one of the more demanding positions. Saying someone can handle 2B easier than 3B is ignoring reality. Think about it. Murphy’s bat is not good enough for 3B so if he could handle 2B don’t you think somebody in the minors or college would have moved him there? Or em if you think the Mets were incompetent then what about the other 29 teams? If any of them saw him as a 2Bman they cOuld have gotten him cheaply because he was a light hitting 3Bman. So all of baseball is wrong. Is that what you’re really saying? There has been exactly one successful corner infield to middle infield transition in the history of the sport. And Ripkin was a very good 3Bman to start with.

1. Connor O'Brien
          Connor O'Brien at | | Reply

I never said he is a second baseman. He isn’t. Personally, I don’t think he fits at ANY position. I meant that his bad defense will be MINIMALIZED at second compared to the other positions that are open to him on the Mets.

1. Sylow59
            Sylow59 at | | Reply

Again, how does that make any sense? On one hand you say he lacks range but then you say his lack of range will be hidden at 2B. Do you not see how this makes no sense? How, also does his poor footwork at 1B also get hidden at 2B? He’s often out of position at 2B. He has no speed and his base running is poor. Layer on that he’s not a HR threat. How on God’s green Earth does that translate to a B+ and not a C-?

1. Connor O'Brien
              Connor O'Brien at | | Reply

His bat. You can’t leave his bat out of the lineup.

2. Connor O'Brien
              Connor O'Brien at | | Reply

.320

1. Sylow59
                Sylow59 at | | Reply

So?

If you want to argue that Killerbrew’s bat needs to be in the lineup and try him at 2nd then go ahead. But Murphy really doesn’t have the power or speed to warrent the arguement. Sorriano was aot more productive and he was moved off 2B.

2. Sylow59
        Sylow59 at | | Reply

And one of the major components of dWAR is range. Get what I’m saying?

2. Sylow59
    Sylow59 at | | Reply

Yogis is absolutely insane

3. ilikeike29
    ilikeike29 at | | Reply

If healthy, Havens should take over by the end of the season.

1. Connor O'Brien
      Connor O'Brien at | | Reply

I’m not so sure about that. Haves hasn’t played a single game in Triple-A. He’s going to be there most of the season. Plus, if Murphy hits like he did last year, why in the world would they replace him?

1. Sylow59
        Sylow59 at | | Reply

AAA can effectively be skipped, just look at Davis. Havens can hit with power and can field. If he has a good May wherever he is then he’s starting at 2B in June.

1. Connor O'Brien
          Connor O'Brien at | | Reply

Well then are you going to take a player, who if he had had I think 9 more at-bats, would have been the NL’s 4th leading hitter?

1. Gerard
            Gerard at | | Reply

You cant argue with Sylow59 as he never liked Murphy. Murphy will work at 2nd base and be serviceable. He does have range if you check out his videos and he is very aggresive at any base. You are a very good writer for 14 yrs old. Take it from a 76 year old man who reads other blogs. I am following you on twitter also..

1. Sylow59
              Sylow59 at | | Reply

No. Wht I don’t like is the lunacy of the compareison to Boggs and Williams and Rose and … And I don’t like the making believe that he’s a capable fielder. And I don’t like the lemmingesque mentality that he will be the first ever successful 1B to 2B transition at the major league level in the history if the game. For the record I do like him but that doesn’t mean I can buy into his superstar myth. I do see that you believe he will be a good 2Bman. Care to offer why? Is it his bad footwork at 1B? His lack of range? Or his being frequently out of position on relays?

1. Gerard
                Gerard at | | Reply

At Mets 360 today he’s being compared to Lou Pinella.See that post.

1. Sylow59
                  Sylow59 at |

Point = ?

2. Connor O'Brien
                  Connor O'Brien at |

I’m not comparing him to any great player. We still have to wait and see. All we know for sure is that the guy can hit. Nobody can just erase his .320 season last year. You can say he isn’t great because he probably is not. But honestly, who else in the Met organization at second can hit like Murph? No one. He is by no means a SUPERSTAR, and no one has said that he is. We are just excited because he is a young guy who hits for a high batting average…

3. Sylow59
                  Sylow59 at |

Actually many have said he’s great. The Boggs, Williams, Rose, … coparisons were all made over at Metsblog. Many compared his fielding to Hernandez. Lots of HOF talk there too. Look here, a B+? Really.

4. Connor O'Brien
                  Connor O'Brien at |

Maybe it was a little generous. Maybe I like being a optimistic. I think he is going to have a good season.

5. Sylow59
                  Sylow59 at |

B+ makes him an All Star and, coming as a 2Bman, a borderline MVP candidate.

6. Connor O'Brien
                  Connor O'Brien at |

Maybe I need to change the grading system a little…

2. Sylow59
            Sylow59 at | | Reply

Put him on the bench where he can’t hurt himself. He has no power, no speed, bad base running skills, and doesn’t draw a lot of walks.

Assuming Havens is not injured and hits well you improve the team by trading some singles for HRs and defense. It’s not a real hard choice.