The Mets start a three-game series against the Brewers Friday at Citi Field. Here are the pitching matchups:
Marcum is having a career year after being traded to the Brewers by the Blue Jays. The move to the National League has helped Marcum. He has lowered his ERA and Batting Average Against from last year. Marcum has won his last three decisions.
Wolf is having his best season in years. Normally a fourth or fifth starter, Wolf has pitched more like a second or third. He has won his last four starts, going at least five innings every start since May 11.
Gallardo is also having a career year, one win away from tying his career high in wins, and so far, has surpassed his career high in ERA. In his last six starts, Gallardo is 3-2 with a 1.98 ERA.
- The Brewers, 73-51, have risen to the top of the NL Central and have taken a seven-game lead on the second place Cardinals. They have the best home record in baseball, but are ten games under .500 on the road.
- The Brewers faced off against the Mets in mid-June, and lost two of three. All three of the games were close, with two one-run games.
- Ryan Braun, who to some, is the MVP so far, is having a fantastic year. Braun is hitting a team-high .329 with 23 home runs, 78 RBI, and 23 steals. He is second on the team in doubles with 28.
- Prince Fielder is also in the MVP race, hitting a career-high .305 with 27 home runs and 89 RBI. Prince and Braun have been arguably the best one-two punch in baseball this season.
- Francisco Rodriguez will be facing the Mets for the first time since being traded. K-Rod has been great for the Brewers in a setup role, going 2-0 with a 2.03 ERA in 14 games.
- The Brewers will be missing Carlos Gomez, who has stolen 15 bases this season. Gomez, a former Met, is second on the team in steals and triples.
What to expect:
- The Mets are facing another stellar pitching staff. Milwaukee’s ERA is 3.72, sixth in the National League. They are also arguably the hottest team in baseball, winning nine of their last ten. It’s hard to see the Mets take this series.