Ike Davis out for September, may miss the rest of 2011

  • Sharebar

According to Adam Rubin and Ian Begley of ESPN New York, Met first baseman Ike Davis has been given four more weeks of rests by the Mets, to give his ankle more time to heal. Rubin and Begley reported that Davis will be re-evaluated on September 1.

The original injury dates back to a collision with David Wright in front of the pitching mound on May 10. At that time, Ike was having a great season, hitting .302 with seven home runs and 25 RBI. Davis received a cortisone shot last month to try to avoid surgery. Now, it appears likely that he will need season ending microfracture  surgery on his ankle, which will take about 12 weeks to recover.

Dave Lennon of Newsday on “The Wheelhouse” said that it is best to wait a little while because Davis said his ankle is feeling better, and the Mets should just wait and see.

My take:

Just get the surgery done. It will take him 12 weeks to recover, so it seems best that he is given more time in spring training to get ready for the season, something he might not have if he goes under the knife in September. This injury is one that can’t really heal on it’s own. I mean, I’m not a doctor, but torn cartilage? That doesn’t sound good. Get it done and have Ike and Santana back for a run next year.

About Connor O'Brien
I'm a 17 year-old blogger, high school student, and lifelong Mets fan. I've been blogging about the Mets in some form or another for about four years. I embrace the new age, sabermetric way of thinking, but also recognize the importance of scouting and player devlopment.

Leave a Reply