On his subscriber-only rumor central, Jayson Stark reported that Carlos Beltran will only accept a trade to a National League team. He basically said:
- Carlos told a friend that even though he’s said to reporters that he will accept a deal to a few AL teams, he will not actually accept a trade to one.
- Carlos will not accept a trade to Texas even though he will play the outfield there because he would play center field and Beltran is unfamiliar with the AL West.
- The Rangers have “ramped up” their efforts to acquire Beltran.
If you’re not an ESPN subscriber, you can see the full report on ESPN New York here.
Here is an overview of the Beltran situation so far:
- The top five teams in the running for Beltran are the Giants, Red Sox, Phillies, Braves, Rangers.
- According to Buster Olney (via Twitter), the Red Sox think that a trade for Beltran is “a longshot.”
- The Mets are looking for top pitching prospects from the Braves.
- The Rangers are coming hard, according to Jeff Passan of Yahoo! (via Twitter), even though the Giants are the frontrunners.